Thursday, November 11, 2010

Culture Corner: November 11th in Canada and Korea

Today is November 11th.  November 11th is a special day in both Canada and Korea, but for different reasons.

In Canada, November 11th is Remembrance Day.  People wear red poppies on their lapels and gather together at 11:00am on November 11th to remember all the Canadian soldiers who have died in various wars.


In Korea, November 11th is Pepero Day.  I heard once that it is called Pepero Day because another way to write "November 11th" is "11.11", which looks like a bunch of Pepero sticks.  Stores make big fancy displays out of boxes of Pepero, and people give many boxes of Pepero to their loved ones and to their teachers,

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marie? how are you? I really like your blog. I'm Nyamjav from Santis 3/46 evening class. Do you remember me? But now i left my class because i haven't any time to go there. But I really wanna develop my english language education. Can you help me? And would you like to be a friend with me,wouldn't you? kk. I'm waiting for your msg... And I wish you lucky.

    ReplyDelete